Skip to main content

Review: How Much the Heart Can Hold: Seven Stories on Love

  
How Much the Heart Can Hold: Seven Stories on Love by Carys Bray
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

32198993

Despite reading 5 of the stories contained within this 7 story collection, I was unfortunately unable to finish and put the book aside.

Now I would like to say from the outset that if from the title you are expecting romantic stories this is not the case, the premise behind this book is that each of the seven stories are written around the Greek terms for different forms of love.

I however, did go in with my eye's open but was disappointed to find two dimensional characters, un-relatable and selfish characters and a female character with pretty much no self respect.

There are two stories I enjoyed, the first was relating to the love one has for oneself, this felt extremely of the moment on a valid and relatable subject. The characters were emotive and I was invested in the story they were telling.

The shining light however, in this collection, from those that I read was that of Carys Bray. As a first exposure to her writing I was delighted and completely immersed in her story telling style. The pace flowed with an absorbing grace that took you into the situation her characters were feeling and wrapped around you like a welcoming blanket.

Due to this story alone I will be pursuing purchasing all of Carys Bray's works but unfortunately this group of stories was not to my taste, but I would never take one persons word for it.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOK REVIEW: Always Here for You by Miriam Halahmy

Young Adult - Trigger Warning for Child Grooming on the Internet   Holly is 14 and feels alone, her best friend has moved away to Canada and her parents are dealing the normal stresses of both work and home life as well as caring for an elderly member of the family. This has caused Holly to feel both isolated and alone, spending increasingly longer amounts of time fending for herself and in the house alone, where she is terrified of every noise that she hears. Her mum does try to get her to befriend Noah, a boy in her year who is experiencing bullying from another class mate and member of his synagogue. Although Holly does not realise it this friendship may not only save Noah, but also herself. Then Holly meets Jay, someone she believes is friends with her bestie Amy and other people in school as he was posted about on an online forum, quickly this situation gets out of hand and she begins to isolate herself from those she cares about and her personality notably changes. Is Jay wha...

Review: God Help the Child

God Help the Child by Toni Morrison My rating: 3 of 5 stars This is my second book by Toni Morrison, I have to say I did struggle with some of the language when I read Beloved so entered this with nervous trepidation. I did not need to worry, this was a light writing style in comparison to that of Beloved. The story is about a women called Bride, she is an ebony-black, attractive and successful women tormented by an event in her childhood which made her tell a despicable lie which had long-term repercussions on anothers life. Her falsehood continues to haunt her into adulthood. But sometimes your actions have far reaching consequences not only for yourself but those around you. Bride loves Booker, a man with a past held so tightly in check that nobody really appreciates the complexity of his character. These two people are a complex emotional typhoon circling the drain that could lead them to drown in despair or face the blameless sins of their childish selves...

Review: The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock

The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar My rating: 1 of 5 stars This book is set in 1785 when a merchant Mr Hancock is handed into his possession a shrivelled body of a mermaid in lieu of a ship he was expecting to return. This starts an event of trying to recoup his losses by displaying the oddity to those of interest at a sum. Angelica Neal is a women used to being kept but has fallen on hard times, her previous lover has passed away and she finds herself fighting for survival and recognition to keep herself out of the high paid establishments and prostitution that will be her plight. Instead Angelica seeks a new lover and a higher status than that previously achieved. Despite the high acclaim from my fellow Book Tuber's unfortunately this book did not quite meet my expectation. I found this book to read in a very slow and dry manner which left me unable to connect either with the content of the story or unfortunately the characters....