Skip to main content

Review: The Man In The Picture

The Man In The Picture The Man In The Picture by Susan Hill
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is the first ghost story from Susan Hill I have read, and although I know many of you would have said to start with The Women in Black I wanted to see what a lesser spoken about story was about.

The title of the story pretty much lays out the premise for this book however, I was blown away by the beauty of the writing, slowly drawing me in and pulling me along with the tale of the Venetian oil painting scene and the effect of attracting people to it and to hold on to it.

This story is 145 pages long and therefore goes at a fair pace to tell the tale, at first from Theo a Cambridge professor to his friend Oliver and then from Oliver to his wife Anne and the effect.

I did enjoy it however, I did not find this either spine tingling or foreboding as I would have hoped therefore I have given it 3*. I have a number of her other books and will continue to expand my reading of Susan Hill as I did enjoy the writing style.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOK REVIEW: Always Here for You by Miriam Halahmy

Young Adult - Trigger Warning for Child Grooming on the Internet   Holly is 14 and feels alone, her best friend has moved away to Canada and her parents are dealing the normal stresses of both work and home life as well as caring for an elderly member of the family. This has caused Holly to feel both isolated and alone, spending increasingly longer amounts of time fending for herself and in the house alone, where she is terrified of every noise that she hears. Her mum does try to get her to befriend Noah, a boy in her year who is experiencing bullying from another class mate and member of his synagogue. Although Holly does not realise it this friendship may not only save Noah, but also herself. Then Holly meets Jay, someone she believes is friends with her bestie Amy and other people in school as he was posted about on an online forum, quickly this situation gets out of hand and she begins to isolate herself from those she cares about and her personality notably changes. Is Jay wha...

Review: God Help the Child

God Help the Child by Toni Morrison My rating: 3 of 5 stars This is my second book by Toni Morrison, I have to say I did struggle with some of the language when I read Beloved so entered this with nervous trepidation. I did not need to worry, this was a light writing style in comparison to that of Beloved. The story is about a women called Bride, she is an ebony-black, attractive and successful women tormented by an event in her childhood which made her tell a despicable lie which had long-term repercussions on anothers life. Her falsehood continues to haunt her into adulthood. But sometimes your actions have far reaching consequences not only for yourself but those around you. Bride loves Booker, a man with a past held so tightly in check that nobody really appreciates the complexity of his character. These two people are a complex emotional typhoon circling the drain that could lead them to drown in despair or face the blameless sins of their childish selves...

Review: The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock

The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar My rating: 1 of 5 stars This book is set in 1785 when a merchant Mr Hancock is handed into his possession a shrivelled body of a mermaid in lieu of a ship he was expecting to return. This starts an event of trying to recoup his losses by displaying the oddity to those of interest at a sum. Angelica Neal is a women used to being kept but has fallen on hard times, her previous lover has passed away and she finds herself fighting for survival and recognition to keep herself out of the high paid establishments and prostitution that will be her plight. Instead Angelica seeks a new lover and a higher status than that previously achieved. Despite the high acclaim from my fellow Book Tuber's unfortunately this book did not quite meet my expectation. I found this book to read in a very slow and dry manner which left me unable to connect either with the content of the story or unfortunately the characters....